Monday 14 May 2012

Kiss of the Goblin Prince by Shona Husk


Kiss of the Goblin Prince (Shadowlands, #2)Author: Shona Husk
Publisher:  Sourcebooks Casablanca 
Release Date: 1 May 2012
Pages: 353 pages
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Source: NetGalley
Reviewed by: Lyuba


Sexual Content: 
Surprisingly mild and I loved that. 


Rating: 
3.5 out of 5


Description from Amazon: 

The Man of Her Dreams
He is like a prince in a fairy tale: tall, outrageously handsome, and way too dark for her own good. Amanda has been hurt before, though. And with her daughter's illness, the last thing she needs right now is a man. But the power of Dai King is hard to resist. And when he threads his hands through her hair and pulls her in for a kiss, there is no denying it feels achingly right.
In a Land of Nightmares
After being trapped in the Shadowlands for centuries with the goblin horde a constant threat, Dai revels in his newfound freedom back in the human realm. But even with the centuries of magic he's accumulated, he still doesn't know how to heal Amanda's daughter—and it breaks his heart. Yet for the woman he loves, he'd risk anything...including a retun to the Shadowlands.


Review: 
I've read The Goblin King some time ago and absolutely loved it, so I was eagerly awaiting the release of the second book in the series. After reading Kiss of the Goblin Prince I am left with somewhat mixed feelings about it.


On one side Dai was my favorite even in the first book (ok I have a thing for hot nerds, and he is the ULTIMATE nerd), but on the other his endless pity party was just annoying. There wasn't much story in the Goblin Prince, but more like characters coming in terms with their changed circumstances or realizing that it was time to change their lives or let go. It was different, refreshing almost, from the usual paranormal books I read, but at the same time I was almost wishing for something to happen. Something DID happen at the end of the book, but it wasn't enough to make up for the overall slowness and the lack of action.


I felt that Dai was the type of character that would really benefit from a series of books, (view spoiler)[ I mean her just got hired by the Birch bank and got access to their library, and got better at magic (hide spoiler)] but I doubt that will happen. His story still has a lot left to tell, because he is still pretty much who he was in the Shadowlands (while Roan is happy to be "normal", and has no powers as far as I could see), he has powers, it was heavily implied that he WILL use them too. I hope Dai will appear in the third book and I can read even a little about his further adventures.


Amanda took a definite back step compared to Dai, and while I felt that her character was very realistic and true to life, she just wasn't as interesting. At least she was honest with herself about what she wanted, and I loved how, as book progressed, she slowly started to let go of her past and move on.


Recommended For: 
Overall I did enjoy this book very much, although I would have loved to see more action. Still, I recommend this book to anyone who would like to read a somewhat different paranormal romance, one with the emphasis on character development and not on a constant action.


~*~*~*~*~
Disclaimer: A copy of this ebook was provided to me by the NetGalley. This rating, review, and all included thoughts and comments are my own.



No comments:

Post a Comment